Monday, November 22, 2010

Week 11: November 21-27


The baby is now the size of a large lime. The crown-to-rump length is 1.75-2.4 inches and will double in the next three weeks. The baby's fingernails appear this week. External genitalia are beginning to show distinguishing features and the development of male or female will complete in three weeks. Inside the baby's abdomen, intestines are developing. The urinary system functions. All vital organs are formed and, for the most part, function normally.

Monday, November 22, 2010 ~ Three of the last four days have been pretty good days with regard to nausea and energy. It felt so good to be productive and get some cleaning done today. I still took it much easier than I would prepregnancy and it took me a lot longer to get stuff done, but it was nice to get anything done at all.

I've noticed that my spelling has become atrocious! I've found so many mistakes on this blog and in other writing, mixing up the order of letters and stuff. I can only guess that it's from the lack of energy I've had affecting my brain???

I've been having some pretty crazy dreams lately. I'm dreaming about high school quite a bit. The best one was the other day though. There were plants growing in the corner of our living room... in dirt! A tomato plant and a rose bush. I was so excited that the tomato plant was indoors because I planted two outside in the Spring and wasn't able to use any of the tomatoes because bugs were eating them. It's been driving me nuts for months and now I'm finally dreaming about it.

Dan and I are both getting really excited to tell people. We haven't officially decided when to start. Technically the first trimester isn't over until the end of week 12 but we've discussed telling people throughout week 12. I'm not telling work until the beginning of week 13. I already have an appointment scheduled with the principal that week, after my annual observation, so it only makes sense to wait to tell him then. I'll tell my department chair the same day or next day and everyone else that week at some point.

We have decided to go through with the fully integrated screening for chromosomal problems. It involves a blood test and an ultrasound. When the doctor mentioned it to me at 8 weeks I was all for it but became hesitant when I read that 5% of women will screen high risk but most of them will have babies with no problems. I am very against the idea of getting an amniocentesis to test further if I do screen high risk so the screening seemed a bit pointless. Also, I feel like we don't have risk factors (family history, age, weight). Dan was on the same page - we didn't want to present ourselves with any reason to worry unnecessarily. When we went in last week at 10 weeks, we talked to the doctor about it further. I told him that we were hesitant and the only thing keeping me from saying no completely was that it would be nice to see the baby again. He felt confident that everything would come out great and told us about another test that can be done between the screening and an amniocentesis. It's a full genetic ultrasound. His experience is that if a woman screens a little high risk, they have the full genetic ultrasound and their risk is brought down enough to not warrant the amnio. He also told us that the first ultrasound that comes with the screening might be 3D!!! We were both in agreement that it sounds like a good idea and we want to see the baby again. I had the blood work done on Thursday which, for some reason, hurt a lot more than the previous blood draws I've had to check my progesterone levels (I had the same phlebotomist each time). I'm scheduling the ultrasound tomorrow. We want to wait until as late as possible so that we can get better pictures of the baby. It has to be done by 13 weeks 6 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment