Tuesday, May 1, 2012

It's Been Quite a While...

...but life has been pretty insane for the last five and a half weeks. We accepted an offer on our house at the end of March (I'm sure I've written since then) and a few days later I realized that we started escrow four years to the date after we closed escrow when we bought our house. We started looking for a new place to live pretty quickly. And we searched, and searched, and searched. We didn't end up signing a lease on a new place until a day before we closed escrow. Fortunately we built in three days after we closed to move out. We are now residents of Newport Beach, very close to Hoag hospital. The move has added about 10 minutes to my commute, less than I expected.

Anyway, now I'll write about the kid because I know that's why you're here. Nate has perfected the army crawl and moves around pretty quickly. He's also beginning to pull himself up to his feet. He's taken a few crawl-steps and gets up on his knees really well but isn't great at crawling on his hands and knees. He has a lot more space now in the new house so he's going to get even better at getting around.

He has started doing some funny, cute habits. He really likes playing with my locket necklace. Dan bought it for me for our anniversary right after Nate was born; it says "Nathan" on one side and his birthday on the other. I have a picture of him in it and plan on putting a locket of hair when we do his first hair cut. I have worn it or had it with me (in my pocket on a busy day when I forgot to actually put it on) every time that I've been away from him for more than a short time. I plan on giving it to his future wife.

He is also obsessed with rubbing eyebrows, most often when he is dozing off. He will put his hand to my face and rub my eyebrow over and over with his thumb. He also likes playing with my eyelashes at times, which worries me about getting my eyeball scratched but I always squint pretty hard to be sure to avoid that.

Nate was sleeping in our bed for the majority of the time that we were in escrow. He had started waking up in the middle of the night in his crib and not going back to sleep unless he was in our bed. We figured there was no point in sleep training if we were going to be moving and getting him adjusted to a new room and a new house. Since we've moved, Nate has been sleeping on a mattress on the floor in his room. I slept with him for the first week. The next two nights, he slept alone until about 1 am, woke up to eat, and wouldn't sleep without me so I stayed in that bed until I got up for the day. Last night, I fed him, he fell asleep, and slept in his bed alone until he woke up in the morning. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen again tonight or anytime soon but I'm glad that we are seeing progress!

He's been waking up for one nursing session as long as we've been here. I'm not sure what's going on but I know he's actually drinking a lot. He has also stopped drinking much of anything during the day so I think that he's making up for it in the middle of the night. He has only had one bottle for the last two days at daycare. Liana tries to give him milk but he has no interest. He's still got wet diapers and his poops haven't been changed so I'm not worried. But I'm thinking of calling the doctor and asking if I should offer him cow's milk or almond milk to see if he'll drink more of something else. He's usually pretty good about drinking water or watered down juice but Liana said he hasn't even been doing much of that lately.

 Anyway, I'm going to sign off for now and expect to log on once a week again now that things are settling down.

No comments:

Post a Comment