Tuesday, February 8, 2011

To Medicate or Not to Medicate

I need some insight here (or maybe just opinions; I'll take either). I have always "known" that I want a natural birth, no epidural. Now, I've never been one to say that there was no chance in you-know-where that I'd get an epidural. I've always approached it with a "We'll see how it goes" attitude but I believe that my body was made to give birth to a baby and I can do it without an epidural. Until just recently, I haven't questioned it. But I've had this nagging question lingering in my head for the last couple weeks: "Why?" I know there are plenty of women who could give a laundry list of why they want a natural labor but I'm not one of them.

Here are some things that I do know and have reasons for: unless there is danger to me or the baby, I don't want to be induced nor do I want my water broken by the doctor. If I do end up with an epidural, I want a walking epidural so that I'm able to move around. Also, I'd like to labor as long as possible at home and get the epidural as late as possible because I know that sometimes an early epidural can slow down the process.

I've recently read a few things that have made me question this blind decision I made at some point in my life even more. One woman asked "If you were getting a tooth pulled in the modern world, would you choose not to have pain medicine? Why not take advantage of modern medical advances?" Another woman I read about questioned why anybody wouldn't get an epidural. She said that she felt like she enjoyed her labor so much more because of it and was much more present.

I do have one concern that I can put into words - I'd rather be slighlty undermedicated than "high". My body overreacts to any kind of foreign substance, even just caffeine, and I really don't want to be loopy and out of it during the labor.

So... please please please tell me if you have any experience in this arena or even if you just have an opinion. I want as much information as possible as I go into making this decision. Dan and I are going to take a class at our hospital and are also seriously considering some kind of natural birthing class, although we haven't decided which method will work for us if we do go that route. I also plan on discussing this with my doctor. Thanks in advance!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Shannon! I will just give you my personal experience. I, personally, am ALL about the epidural. Contractions hurt... A LOT!! And kinda like what you already had said... if you have a headache, would you not take aspirin?? With each child, I knew I wanted an epidural. My hospital always recommended waiting as long as one could to speed up the birthing process. Plus, each time I asked for an epidural it took an hour or so just to get it! The nurse had to see me, then they had to find the anestigiologist (I know I spelt that wrong), then he/she has to get the materials, prep you, and then you get the epidural. With Payton, I had no feeling in my left leg, but I was able to move my right leg. I had no pain, but I could feel my contractions coming.

    With Devin, I had what they call a "hot spot." Basically, I was numb all over except one spot and it was very painful because it was the contractions I was feeling only in the one spot. So they gave me an extra dose and laid me on my affected side to get rid of the hot spot. It worked, but I was super numb from below my boobs on down. If this was my first labor and delivery, this would have freaked me out because I could feel any contractions and I couldn't feel my legs. But, I did not regret getting the epidural at all. I have NO desire to feel the pain. So if it meant not feeling my legs to have no pain, versus screaming in agony thinking I was going to die, then I choose the epidural.

    I remember hearing the girl in the room next to me screaming in agony and she turned down the epidural. When she finally gave in to have the epidural, she was too far a long and couldn't get one.

    My sister, Jamie, didn't have one only because by the time they got to the hospital, her baby was crowning and it was too late.

    Will you survive the delivery without meds? Yes. Millions of women have. But, I feel, why put yourself through that pain. I think if I had baby #1 without an epidural, I think the pain alone would have made me not want another.

    I think you should consider your pain tolerance as well. And if you have back labor, that will be super painful as well. Every women is different. I have hears horror stories about the needle of the epidural causing prolong back pains. I have never experienced that. And keep in mind, you don't care about the stinkin' needle when you're having contractions. You just want that epidural!! If you decide to go that way that is... Hope this helped a bit!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon,
    I do think it is about your pain tolerance. back in the day (28 years ago) an epidural was only considered if the pain became intolerable. But what does that mean anyway? My contarctions were bad with some back labor but they each last a minute or two making them doable.
    I went in the hospital in the evening and they sent me home. By 6:30 AM the next morning after having contractions all night my water broke. I got to the hospital by 7:00 and Lena was born at 7:20.
    Everyone is different. I think you should plan on natural but keep your options open.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES, since your asking... And I already know many will pretty much hate my answer. Luckily more and more people are making them selves more aware (as I see you are) by researching all alternatives. I will say that I believe that Labor hurts everyone. I hear people say "my labor was really bad", I believe most everyone has it bad. I have spoken to a few women who say it was easy and no pain,didn't feel a thing (very lucky women!!)
    I am a mother of 4 as you know. I was told I could NEVER have a vaginal birth and would require a C section. Even at the young age of 18 I though that was bull. I have spoken to nurses who tell me doctors would rather do c sections for a few reasons. More money, less whining from the mother (don't have to deal with labor most times) unless in TRUE emergency cases, which I was told and refused a c section. I know I am the crazy one right? Well Zach weighed in at almost 11 pounds and this girl who was told could NEVER deliver a baby naturally did it four times including big ol Zach. They say my uterus is very small (ummm zach seemed to fit) and it is tilted? I will say that when I saw Zach's heart rate drop I was scared and almost gave in. If Luis didn't insist and remind me of all I believe in I would have had that C section. Anyways... an epidural is not necessary if it's just because they say "you need it your in too much pain", umm millions of women live through the pain of natural childbirth, there is only a "NEED" if you are having an (TRUE) emergency C section. RISKS: YES plenty of them with epidurals and any medication given during childbirth, make sure you really research and find out the true risks. I know a few horror stories from close friends after having epidurals. My friend who had an epidural with her last one because she wanted to "enjoy" the experience, (believe me my shortest labor was 36 hours of strong 2-3 min apart labor, I didn't enjoy the labor, but the reward was well worth the agony. She ended up with major nerve damage. She is due tomorrow with her second baby, she is doing hypnosis for her labor, sounds very interesting and no drugs. In other countries c sections and epidurals are rarely utilized and it is said that many women do not feel the pain becuase they know how to relax with natural techniques. Just do your baby a favor and really look into the risks. There are always risks when medication enters your body, the baby gets it too. AND there are many alternatives to natural birth with no drugs and less pain.
    Love you! Can't wait for a new baby in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/birthing.html
    http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/trailer.php

    a few sources, I urge you to watch the documentary The Business of Being Born

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the input ladies! I still need to rent The Business of Being Born. I'm sure it will be higher on my priorty list once we start our childbirth classes.

    ReplyDelete