Sunday, January 16, 2011

Week 19: January 16-22

Baby is now the size of a mango, about 6 in long from crown to rump and weighing 8.5 oz. Vernix caseosa, a greasy white substance made of lanugo, oil, and dead skin cells (yum) now coats baby's skin, shielding it from the amniotic fluid. (Picture yourself after a nine-month bath, and the need for protection makes sense.) It's typical to get nasty leg cramps around now, although (knock on wood) I haven't had them. Baby's brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 ~ Now that I've had a day to relax and do a whole lot of nothing, I'm feeling the baby a heck of a lot more so I think my theory about not feeling him when I'm active is correct. Dan and I walked to Main St, picked up sandwiches, and ate lunch at Pier Plaza today. We got gelato on our way back. Afterward sitting on the couch I felt the baby moving around a ton! I even felt him from the outside but still haven't been able to get Dan to feel it. I think it's easier for me to feel because I can feel it from both the inside and the outside.

I've been shopping online for furniture for a while and tomorrow I'm going out to try to get the big stuff done: crib, dresser, and some kind of shelving/storage unit. We cleaned out the upstairs closet and moved some furniture out yesterday. Were not sure if we'll move the bed and couch out. We'll see what we can fit up there. It's going to be crazy to have a crib in the house!


Saturday, January 22, 2011 ~ It's been a busy but productive week. After a ton of time shopping around online, I found all of the furniture that we'll need for the baby's room! We'll have a crib, changing table with shelves, dresser, glider, and ottoman. I'll post pictures once things are assembled and the room starts coming together. Hopefully we'll have a furniture assembly pizza party at our house in the next few weeks.

My shoulder hasn't been bothering me as much this week, although the pain isn't completely gone. It's the worst when I walk and I've walked 15 miles two weeks in a row. I'm trying to average 14 min miles. Sometimes I look at my watch and find that I'm walking a 13:20 pace and other times it's tough to stay under 14. I'm not pushing it too much. I still hope to add a day of yoga to my weekly exercise.

I guess when I'm feeling really good, I don't have as much to report. I'm still feeling the baby move and I can feel him on the outside very sporadically but Dan still hasn't been able to feel anything. Other than that, I feel good, am sleeping well, and my appetite is back to normal or maybe even a little smaller than normal. I've gained a total of 8 pounds and 8 inches around my waist. I'm under the weight gain that I read I should be at last week but I was a little over my ideal weight when we started so it's nothing to be concerned about.

No comments:

Post a Comment