Monday, December 27, 2010

Baby Belly Made for an Interesting Christmas Morning

After a few weeks of feeling pretty good with very little nausea and a good week or so of having more energy, we had a little blunder on Christmas morning.

I woke up starving, as I had several mornings in a row (and later found out that the little bubs is going through a growth spurt) so I had a banana and a couple tangerines to tide me over before breakfast at Dad's. I was pretty tired because I hadn't slept well two nights in a row so I made a little coffee to take for the ride. We took my car and everything was going really well... until we were about halfway to my Dad's.

On the freeway after a few sips of coffee I started feeling a little queasy. I rolled down the windows and took deep breaths, thinking it would go away. I started feeling a little worse but really didn't think I was actually going to throw up. I started to merge from the fast lane towards the right shoulder and should have known things were bad when I had a hard time staying in the lanes as I moved over. Before I could get stopped, things got ugly. I'll spare you the details. I stopped on the shoulder and immediately started bawling; "What am I going to do?!" Dan immediately jumped into action and grabbed a blanket from the trunk to clean up a bit, then we headed back home. While I got cleaned up, Dan cleaned the car and I had some corn chips (the closest thing to crackers that we had at the house).

We headed back out and after nibbling on some corn chips and slowly eating breakfast at my Dad's, I started to feel much better. Once I finally got fully rehydrated by the afternoon and had another meal, I felt good. Overall, we just had a glitch in the morning and it was still a good day - probably one of the most memorable Christmas mornings I've had in a while.

I think the acid of the tangerines and the few sips of coffee was just too much on a very empty stomach! We keep joking that it was good practice for Dan, cleaning up baby messes.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe this happened! I want to hear the story in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll tell you guys all about it when we get together for Laura's birthday. Although we'll have to time it when we're not eating!

    ReplyDelete