Sunday, February 13, 2011

Week 23: February 13-19




Baby is now about 11 inches (almost a foot long!) and weighs just over a pound. My fruit website only updates once every four weeks so we're still a papaya for three more weeks. Blood vessels in baby's lungs are developing to prepare for breathing, and the sounds that her increasingly keen ears pick up are preparing her for entry into the outside world. The pancreas is developing and it will be responsible for insulin production, to help break down sugars. Bones, muscles and organs are growing steadily and fat is depositing at a rapid rate, although the skin still hangs loosely. Braxton-Hicks contractions can start at any time and continue through the remainder of the pregnancy.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 ~ I need to read about what Braxton-Hicks contractions feel like. Often after I eat and when I exercise I can feel tightening and my stomach gets very hard. I think that might be BH, but I'm not sure. I do know that they are not painful and are sporadic, unlike labor pains. I'm sure my Mayo Clinic book has info.

Last week I didn't meet my walking goal; I walked 8 miles. But it was a busy week and I was able to do weights and start prenatal yoga so I feel good about my week. Prenatal yoga was much more of a workout than I expected but I felt great afterwards and plan on going back once a week until labor. There was a lady in the class who was 39 weeks so I feel confident that I'll be able to go until labor. I started this week with a 6 mile walk today and hope to meet my 15 mile goal; I just hope the rain doesn't stop me. I've gained 12 pounds, which is just below where I should be, and I hope I can continue to stay on track with that. I was a little over my ideal weight when I started so it's okay that I'm under where I should be.

Last night we had our furniture assembly pizza party. Dan & Dan put the crib together, Dad & Kyle did the dresser, Tracy & Mom did the changing table, and Doug & Rebecca helped break down all of the packaging. I "supervised" and ordered pizza. Now it's time to start decorating! I got a little emotional an hour before people got here thinking about having a crib in our house. We're having a baby!

I am REALLY not looking forward to my gestational diabetes test and am actually nervous about it because I've known enough people who had it despite being very healthy people. But all I can do is to continue to eat well and exercise and hope that the placenta isn't my enemy (the function of the placenta is what can cause GD). I'm glad that Dan will be there with me for the test. I think we'll go out for a nice breakfast afterwards so that I have something to look forward to.



Thursday, February 17, 2011 ~ The doctor called today about our ultrasound on Tuesday. The baby is measuring only four days ahead but one of her kidneys is slightly dilated. He said not to worry. We will do a follow up ultrasound in a month to check on it. Of course, I'll be thinking about it until we have the ultrasound but I trust the doctor and he is very proactive, so I'm not worried.
Because the baby is getting larger, it's more difficult to get cute pictures but we saw some really cute shots of the baby's mouth and nose. I just wanted to kiss those little lips!



Saturday, February 19, 2011 ~ My glucose tolerance test was nowhere near as bad as I thought (and as people told me it would be). We got there early enough to be fourth in line and they got to me for my fasting blood draw at 8:30 am. I drank the glucose drink, which was like lemon lime flavored sugar water, and waited an hour. The first and second blood draws went off without a hitch. I laid down for them because of my history of passing out when fasting and barely got lightheaded. At 10:30 am I went in for the last blood draw, which didn't go as smoothly. The phlebotomist tried drawing from my right arm, which is the arm they took blood from for the first draw. She got some blood and thought the tube had clogged. She had to yell for somebody to hand her another tube and that one still didn't work. She tried my left arm, poking around several times to get into the vein, and that one wouldn't give any blood, either. She called another phlebotomist over to try and said that they might have to draw out of my hand. While we were waiting for the other phlebotomist I noticed that I was shaking. I'm sure it was from fear of having the draw out of my hand. I've had one IV before with a little numbing and it was a pretty painful experience. The second phlebotomist came over, slapped the veins in both of my arms for a while, and then moved to my hands. After some slapping and poking around, she was able to get a vein in my right hand. It wasn't a fun experience but overall, the two hours was easier than I expected.
The sugar drink didn't make me jittery and actually helped me not to feel so hungry. Dan and I went out for a hearty breakfast immediately afterward and I napped when we got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment