Saturday, May 5, 2012

More Teething, More Mobility

We have regressed a bit in terms of sleep because of teething.  Nate has a third bottom tooth coming in and I'm hoping that fourth bottom is shortly behind so that we can get through this.  His first two teeth were the bottom center and he had a very difficult time with it.  He was fine during the day but slept terribly!  After a bit of a break, he got all four top teeth at once and did fine.  Now he's had quite a break from teething but the bottom one or two started coming about a week or two ago and one is clearly close to peaking through.  For the last two nights he's woken up to have milk twice each night and didn't sleep well after his first waking.  I am grateful that he has been so well behaved during the day but I am also pretty exhausted!

Today Nate was amusing himself by pulling himself to his feet using the ottoman and then plopping down onto his butt over and over again.  I'm sure I mentioned that he has the army crawl down pat and gets on his hands and knees often.  He took another crawl-step today and sometimes takes a few steps on his hands and feet.  He's going to be walking before we know it; we have to get to baby proofing pretty quick here!

I think that all of this increased mobility will help him sleep better once those teeth pop through.  He has been taking longer naps for the past few days (except of course today when I was home with him).  He's still sleeping on the mattress on the floor and I'm debating on moving him to his crib converted to a toddler bed.  I'm going to wait it out for another week or two and see what happens as those teeth pop through.  It's still really convenient to hop onto the mattress with him when he wakes up for milk and sometimes stay there with him when he's in pain and can't sleep.  Our bed is in a temporary holding pattern as well.  In the new house, our bedroom is upstairs and Nate's is downstairs, fairly far away.  So right now we have our mattress on the floor in the small room directly across from Nate's room, Dan's office.  I'm actually sleeping really well on it but it's cramming Dan's space.  Like I said, I'm going to wait it out for a little longer and reevaluate in a week or two.

We got the go ahead to give Nate whole milk a little earlier than usual.  I had a couple days in a row of incredibly low supply so I called the doctor.  I didn't see a point in trying to force the formula issue and then switch over to whole milk in a month when Nate turns a year old.  I was expecting the doctor to suggest that we wait but they actually were completely on board.  So we gave him his first cow's milk Thursday night, 1.5 oz before his usual bedtime bottle.  He had about 6 oz spread throughout the day on Friday and only a few ounces today.  I'm going to keep nursing and pumping for at least a couple weeks to see if his night feedings stop once those teeth break through (that's what happened last time he had the bottom teeth coming in).

I've come to figure out that things work themselves out.  Right when I start to worry about something, it works out and then there's something else to worry about.  So I've stopped worrying.  He's not going to be waking up forever and he's only going to be little for so long.  I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts!

We are mostly moved in, just have pictures to hang and a few little things to organize.  My Mom, step Dad, and brother are moving in next weekend so there will be boxes all over the place again but I won't look at them with the pressure of knowing that I have to unload them.  Once they are all settled we will start baby proofing and organizing the garage.  Before we know it, we're going to have to plan Nate's birthday party.  We already have ideas and a theme and I've ordered the invitations!

It's going to be a busy household with five adults and a baby but we definitely have the space and I'm going to enjoy having my little brother around so much for a few months before he moves in the summer.

Oh, and Nate's 11 months old today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment