Sunday, May 22, 2011

Week 37: May 22-28

Baby is now the size of a watermelon, approximately 21 inches long and about 6.5 pounds. She is considered full term now! She will continue to gain about half an ounce per day, mostly in fat, and her brain continues to develop rapidly.


Sunday, May 22, 2011 ~ The doctor was surprised to see that I was 1 cm dilated and 60% effaced when I saw him on Thursday. Based on what I've read and heard from friends, 1 cm doesn't mean a whole lot unless I continue to progress; many people are at 1 cm for weeks before they progress further. But I've read that it's far better for the cervix to thin out (efface) before the bulk of the dilating begins (although I can't remember why). So we'll have a better idea of how things are going when I see the doctor on Thursday. About a week ago I started having cramps, which is what caused the progress we've seen so far. Today after my walk I've been and currently am having the worst cramps yet for the longest time yet, about an hour. I think I've only had about one contraction though so I don't think anything exciting is happening. Oh speak of the devil, there's another one.

I think the baby has dropped as much as she could have, considering how low I've been carrying throughout the pregnancy. There seems to be more space in my belly and more pressure on my bladder and pelvis lately.

There are a few things left that I'd like to get done before the baby comes but nothing that's absolutely necessary. I feel prepared for the most part. Well, we haven't packed the hospital bag yet but I think we'll have that done by the end of the day tomorrow. Baby can't come sooner than that anyway because my doctor is at a conference in LA until tomorrow afternoon.

I'm finding myself making comments that I want the baby to come as soon as possible but honestly, she can come whenever she's ready. For work purposes, I would prefer that she come soon so that I can spend more time with her before I have to go back but otherwise I'm still pretty comfortable and don't have that "Get this baby out of me" feeling. My yoga instructor seems to think that because I'm comfortable, I won't deliver early.

I have been having a more difficult time sleeping. I'm up approximately every hour and a half to change positions, which is a bit of work. I slept on the couch last night because it is softer than the bed and my hips didn't get sore from sleeping on my side as quickly. I had longer stretches of time between wake ups. I really don't want to sleep on the couch every night though. It just doesn't seem right.

Exercise is becoming more challenging, as well. My belly gets in the way during yoga and my legs are having a difficult time supporting the extra weight during some poses. My legs are also getting tired on walks. Last week I walked 12.5 miles, 3 miles at a time (one walk was 3.5 miles) but prior to that I missed about 2-3 weeks because of a crazy schedule and working too much. I'm sure that break contributed to my weaker legs, too. As much as I dread walking, I'm going to try to walk as often as I can because I tend to get cramps afterward, which makes me feel like things are moving along. I know, that probably sounds crazy.

I'm getting more and more excited to meet this little person residing in my body and I especially can't wait to find out: boy or girl?! Oh, on that note, we really need to make some progress on the name front!


Tuesday, May 24, 2011 ~ The other day I was sitting with Jessica, reflecting on college graduation for some reason. It seems like it happened so much longer than 11 years ago. When I think about all of the experiences I've had in the last 11 years and the things that I've done, it makes me happy. From getting out of a terrible relationship that lasted altogether too long, beginning a career that I love, and buying my condo at a young age to traveling with girlfriends; meeting, traveling with, and marrying Dan; completing my masters; and now being in the position to live by the beach (a long time dream of mine) and start a family, it makes me realize how great my life has been! I had tough times when money was tight or when I was working full time and speeding through my masters (and more), but I wouldn't change a thing. I think part of the reason that it feels like more than 11 years have passed is because I feel like a completely different person than I was back then and I am very happy with the person that I have become.

Just a little Tuesday afternoon reflection.


Friday, May 27, 2011 ~ Unfortunately nothing has changed in the last week. The doctor said I'm 1+ cm dilated and 60% effaced. I was hoping for progress, especially after having some boughts of pretty strong contractions and cramps, but apparently baby is very happy where she's at for now. Good news is I didn't gain any weight this week!

I had a nursing bra fitting at Hoag before my doctor's appointment and the nurse who worked with me couldn't have made my day any better. She said that it's obvious I've been exercising and that I'm "all baby". She suspects that I will be back to my prepregnancy weight very quickly. As I was walking out, she also told me that I am far more calm than most women who come in at this point in their pregnancy. I know I have been told by many people that I look good and have done a good job with my weight but it felt especially good hearing it from somebody who is completely impartial and who sees pregnant women all day, every day.

She also gave me some good information. For example, she said that babies often won't feed from a bottle when they can smell their Mom in the room. So when we start getting baby used to a bottle before I go back to work, I'll have to be sure to leave the area when Dan feeds her. I'm really looking forward to delivering at Hoag. So far all of our experiences there have been great and every nurse has been incredibly helpful.

When I was on my walk today, a couple was getting out of their car and gave me two thumbs up. The husband said, "Go Mama!" I thought that was cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment