Saturday, January 21, 2012

Breathing Treatments

We took Nate back to the doctor yesterday. After seeing the doctor on Monday he seemed to get a little worse on Tuesday and stayed consistently bad for the rest of the week. I called the nurse line Friday morning and they said it had been a long time for him not to be improving so we brought him in. Dr. K said that the virus he had when he had croup might make his colds worse for up to a year, causing him to be wheezy. The inhaler seemed to be helping with that but she suggested that we try breathing treatments to see if we can get a faster improvement, although she said he could continue coughing for up to two weeks. The only reason to bring him back in will be if he starts having labored breathing. She also gave us a large prescription so that we can use the nebulizer for future colds if he starts wheezing and we won't have to bring him in to the office. She also insisted that we clean out his nose three times a day, even if we have to do it a lot each time to get anything out. I hate doing it at all because Nate hates it so much but I'm following doctor's orders.

We had a whole situation with the prescription yesterday and this morning (not worth sharing the details) so we weren't able to start the breathing treatments until late this morning. We are supposed to do three per day but we were only able to do two today because of it. I have a picture of the kiddo with the mask on that I hope to post soon. One day, in a dream world when we are all healthy and don't have a ton of extra things on our plate, I hope to upload pictures and post them here. I also hope to update the blog over the summer and make it more interesting to look at.

I'm sure I mentioned it several times but Nate's bottom teeth are really starting to show! I would say it was about two weeks ago that I knew he was definitely getting teeth because I could see the outline through the gums, then at least a week ago they broke through. Now we can see at least one tooth getting ready to break through on the top. I'm sure this is contributing to his misery.

Today was a much better day than any in the last week. Nate was talking and smiling a ton (although he's a pretty smiley baby in general) and I could tell that he's feeling a lot better. He's still really congested and wheezy. He's also still more sleepy than usual. But I was glad to see his spirits up and hope he continues to show great improvements each day. I'm hoping he doesn't have to have breathing treatments at daycare for too long.

Speaking of him talking, he's experimenting with far more syllable sounds. The other day he and I were hanging out and Dan walked in; he swears he heard him say "Mama" but I'm certain he was just babbling. Today he was experimenting with his "b" and "d" sounds.

I think that Nate is going to be on his hands and knees pretty soon and crawling not long after that. He is also trying to pull himself up to the seated position quite often. I remember looking forward to this age, where he can sit and play with a toy but isn't mobile yet, and I'm loving it. I'm not quite ready for him to start moving but I know it'll be here before we know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment