Monday, January 2, 2012

My Best Winter Break Ever

I have had a great break and am very sad to be going back to work tomorrow. There were a couple of days that I wished I had some form of stimulation besides a 6.5 month old baby but by far, I had the best winter break I've ever had. I feel like Nate has changed so much in the last two weeks and that his daycare provider isn't going to recognize him. I'm not talking about him changing physically (although I swear he gets bigger and bigger every time I turn my head). I'm talking about him doing so much more and needing different things than he did two weeks ago.

He is sitting up like a pro now. It is rare that he tips over; usually only when he's sitting on something unsteady or when he's tired. We have also stopped using the car seat in the stroller; he's using the stroller like a big boy and he loves it! It's a lot easier to go for a run with him in the stroller now without the extra weight of the car seat. And he still prefers drinking out of a big boy glass instead of a sippy cup. He really enjoys water after his meals but sometimes he just takes water into his mouth and then plays with it, spitting it out or letting it dribble down his chin. I know I shouldn't but I can't help myself - I laugh every time.

Speaking of meals, we've had our ups and downs. The poor kid went through the ringer for over a month with the cold, croup, bad cold, ear infection, and then wheezing. He was well for a few days before I had to take him in to get his 6 month shots, which we had postponed until he was feeling better, but of course those made him feel icky for a few days. Poor kiddo!

And speaking of his 6 month shots, I always lean down and shush into his ear when he gets his shots and therefore can't see what's going on. Last week when I was leaning down I saw his face cringe a little and I thought the nurse had used the alcohol wipe but when I looked up, he already had a band aid on. He had gotten a shot without making a peep! The nurse said the second and third ones would burn a little. He made a slight whimper with the second one and a little louder with the third but he didn't cry at all. There were several nurses at the desk right outside of the room we were in and they all said how impressed they were with him. My little trooper!

I think that he is teething. His drool volume has increased and he's chewing on things more feverishly than normal. He's also changed his preference to chewing on hard things over soft. In addition, he often likes to chew on my nose. He will now grab my head and go right for it. I'm sure part of his interest in my nose is to have something to chew on but I also crack up every time he does it so I'm sure that's motivating. I froze some banana pieces and some apple slices and have given them to him in his little mesh chewy thing. I can tell that they give him some relief. I also froze pieces of bagels but he has no interest in those yet.

On New Years Eve we took Nate for his first bike ride in his iBert seat with my Mom and Dan. He fell asleep pretty quickly but while he was awake he enjoyed himself. Then I took the whole gang to the pizza place that I frequent with my New Moms Group in Costa Mesa. The waitress offered to bring Saltines for Nate and I had never thought of giving them to him but they were a hit. I bought him a box of unsalted tops Saltines to have at home. They have contributed to making meal times a bit messier than they used to be. Also, Nate likes to hold his own spoon sometimes and try to feed himself; those are the really messy days!

Lately Nate will be sitting or laying playing with a toy or amusing himself in some other way and all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, he starts laughing. I've started to think that he sees ghosts and they do funny things to make him laugh! That's the running joke I have with him and Dan now. Today he was putting his hands together like he was clapping so I started clapping and he cracked up. Then we took turns clapping, me encouraging him while he clapped and him laughing while I did. It was pretty cool!

I keep notes on my iPhone so that I remember things to write about. One of the notes is "B, g, w." I remember typing it and thinking that I would definitely remember what it means when I got around to blogging. I must have been half asleep when I did that. If I ever remember, I'll write about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment