Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sick Again

Just when we decided that Nate was going to sleep in his crib all night no matter what, he gets a really bad cold. Saturday night he sounded a bit weazy but had no other cold symptoms. Sunday morning he started getting a bit of a cold and I brought him in to the doctor on Monday. His chest and ears were clear despite the wheezing so the doctor said to put him back on the inhaler three times a day. She said that the worst night would be anywhere from the third to the fifth night. I asked her if it was normal for a baby to be sick three times in a little less than three months and she asked if he was in daycare. Ugh! She said that they expect daycare kiddos to be sick ten times per year. Ten times?!

I'm hanging my hat on a study that I read when I went back to work. It said that kids get sick the same amount in their first five years of life whether or not they went to daycare, suggesting that daycare kids get sick more often when they start daycare and other kids get sick more often when they start school. I'm looking at this as a positive: while other kids will be getting sick when they start school, Nate will be there learning every day, strong immunity and all! One of my girlfriends from college just went back to work on Tuesday and her kiddo already has a cold. I empathized with her on her facebook post and told her about this study. Somebody else quickly commented that her little girl didn't get her first cold until she was 2 years old and misses school all of the time; she never went to daycare. I'm taking this as encouragement.

Nate doesn't appear to be getting any better. Since the third and the fifth night have past, I'm considering bringing him back to the doctor tomorrow. Dan is going to stay home with Nate because I've already missed too much work. I will call in the morning and see what the nurses say (or have Dan call).

I have been planning on meeting up with a few of my good Tesoro friends tomorrow for a birthday happy hour. I'm really having a hard time with convincing myself to go, despite Dan's urging. He wants me to have fun but I feel so guilty for not being home when Nate is sick, especially because he hasn't been taking the bottle as well since he's been sick. I'm going to try to get a coworker to cover the beginning of my fifth period so that I can come home and nurse (and spend time with him, which will ease my mind) during lunch. I'm really hoping that he wakes up a new "man" in the morning but I'm not expecting that to happen!

Today I accepted a friend request on facebook and checked out that person's photos, like I always do when I accept a new friend. She had an album with about 20 pictures from when her daughter was born until when she looked like she was about 5-6 years old. I looked at the pictures, all on one page, and got choked up. I saw this little girl, whom I don't know, grow up on a single page on facebook and I thought about how quickly Nate is going to grow up right before my eyes. I want to cherish every moment as much as I can!

I found out on Tuesday that I'm not going to be able to reduce my schedule for second semester. It's a long story but basically there's a scheduling conflict. I was told that this might happen a couple weeks ago so I had the opportunity to get used to the idea and wasn't incredibly disappointed. It's probably good because we haven't gotten any offers on the house and I'm not certain how much of a pay cut we can afford while still living here. But it makes me even more determined to find a place that we can afford for me to work part time when we do sell this place. I'd love to go down to teaching three classes in the Fall but I'll be happy with teaching four (instead of the standard five).

Speaking of selling the house, there has been a young lady interested in the house since before Christmas. Her Mom lives on 20th St and is helping her with the purchase of a house. They both love our house and have seen everything else in their price range; they don't like anythinge else. We had two Open Houses two weekends ago and they came back both days. Our agent is in communication with them often and the Mom says that the daughter is very deliberate in every decision she makes, so she's not surprised that she's taking a while to make us an offer. Also, the step Dad (who has no money going into the deal) is telling her that we are overpriced. But she wants something in this downtown area so everything here is going to be overpriced! We are actually priced very well for this area. Other than that, our agent hasn't gotten a vibe from the Mom or the daughter that they think the pric is too high or that they are waiting for us to drop our price. I'm staying optimistic and hoping that we won't have to drop our price too much again before we can sell! As much as I can't imagine packing up and moving (for sentimental reasons and because I don't know where we'll find the time), I really want to be in a larger house!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment