Friday, February 17, 2012

If This Isn't a Growth Spurt...

... then I don't know what to think! Over the last two weeks, Nate has increased the amount that he's eating and drinking at least twofold. Today he had almost a cup of food in one sitting. Last night, he had almost half a cup of oatmeal and a 6 oz bottle before bed. He woke up three hours later and we gave him a 2 oz bottle. He sucked it down in no time so we made another 2 oz bottle. Repeat two more times; he had 8 oz. He was up several times after that to eat but he was in our bed by then and I was nursing him so I don't know how much he ate. (We started with bottles because I wanted to know how much he was eating and ensure that he wasn't just sucking himself back to sleep. I didn't want to waste milk, which is part of the reason why we went with 2 oz intervals, but I also didn't think he was going to drink much.)

I called Hoag's Baby Line today and the nurse didn't really know what to say. She said this isn't a common time to have a growth spurt. What?!?! She suggested switching our bedtime routine around so that we do bath before cereal so we tried that tonight. He didn't eat quite as much cereal, maybe because he was more tired or maybe because he had eaten so much during the day today. I'm not really expecting much of a change because it only moved his cereal time back about 20 minutes. His 9 month appointment is in about 2.5 weeks so I'll probably just wait to ask about it unless it stays as bad as it was last night (up four times, I think). I'd like to try giving him a bottle each time he wakes up to really see how much he's drinking and also in hopes that he might decide he doesn't like the bottle so much and stops waking up. But it's so much easier to nurse, especially when he's already laying next to me. Last night, between making all of the bottles and trying to get him back to sleep, we were upstairs for at least an hour. After shushing him and rubbing his back in his crib for what felt like 30 min, he woke up again so we just took him downstairs. He actually ended up eating a little more, even after the 8 oz, so I think that's why he wouldn't stay asleep.

Anyway, enough about that. I don't remember if I mentioned that we were planning on lowering the list price of our house; we did that the other day. We are both getting pretty antsy and are tired of having to be so quiet all of the time. However there are some fun things about it. Sometimes we serve ourselves dinner and eat together in our bedroom. It kind of feels like we are in a hotel room or something. That probably sounds a little bit pathetic!

Speaking of a hotel room, my Aunt Karen and cousins are coming into town in March and they are staying in Long Beach. My Mom mentioned that they are going to stay in Long Beach the first night that Karen arrives, since it's a Saturday and Dan W won't have to work the next day. That got me to thinking so my Dan and I decided that this would be a good first night away with Nate. It's super close and only one night. We are going to try to get an adjoining room with my Mom so that we can hang out with them after Nate goes to sleep.

Well, wish us luck tonight! I'm starving and waiting for Dan to get back with Athens West.

No comments:

Post a Comment